Monday, March 8, 2010

Mark Linkous commited suicide

His music is (let me use this plain word) very sad. He apparently suffered from a depression and commited suicide. He made 4 albums in a period of 15 years, and all four are very good. Those are simple statements. Fwiw, there are 13 pages of comments about his death at his last.fm page shoutbox and only 6 pages for all the previous years.
Oh yeah, he was better known under the moniker Sparklehorse.
Interesting detail about all this: Rolling Stone states that "In 1996, Linkous actually died for two minutes after ingesting a dangerous mix of Valium and antidepressants while on tour in the U.K." and that in a later interview he said: “I was really scared that when I technically died (...) the part of my brain that allowed me my ability to write songs would be damaged”.
That reminds me of two akin situations that had happened before. First, there was eminent russian poet Fyodor Tyutchev, whose first concern after he had recovered from a serious illness was if he was still able to think clearly, if his brain functions were ok; second, after great writer Jorje Luis Borges (about 70-80 years later than Tyutchev) recovered from a near deadly head injury, his first concern was if he still could read and, then, write. I guess it shows what universal narrowness of specialization means. Pretty soon you'll find yourself wondering if you still can make that inverted d 350 APM bunny hop while lying on a deathbed. Gosh!


----------------
Now playing: Gasoline Horseys - foobar2000
via FoxyTunes

No comments:

Post a Comment